Translating WordPress XLIFF files in Wordfast Pro
The following instructions are for those who want to translate Wordpress (WP) XLIFF files in Wordfast Pro 5. This process is required because WP XLIFF files differ from standard XLIFF files.
There are two steps to translate WP XLIFF files in Wordfast Pro 5:
- Create a conversion rules (*.properties) file in a text editor.
- Add a file format filter to Wordfast Pro 5.
Create a conversion rules (*.properties) file in a text editor
- Open your preferred text editor (e.g., Notepad in Windows)
- Add the following italicized text to a new blank text file:
- Name and save the text file to a safe location and note the location.
- Go to the file and change the extension from .txt to .properties
- NOTE: If you don't see the .txt extension, go to this wikiHow tutorial for more information, but ignore its Method 1.
Add a file format filter to Wordfast Pro 5
- Open your WP XLIFF source file with your preferred text editor, note the encoding and language codes in the XML header, then close the file and return to Wordfast Pro 5.
- From the Project List view, click on Create Project.
- Name your project, verify the location you will save it to, and choose your source and target languages. Make sure your language codes match the codes in the XML header (step 1).
- Create or add TMs, glossaries, or blacklists as necessary.
- Under the Source Files tab, click on Create Filter.
- From the Choose file format drop-down, select Text based filter (*.xml).
- Type an appropriate name for the new filter in the Filter Name field.
- From the Encoding drop-down, select the one that matches what you noted in step 1 of this section (likely UTF-8).
- Set target encoding as the same.
- Click the Browse button next to 'Extraction Rules', then locate and open your .properties file.
- Type xliff in the "Extension" field and click OK.
- Choose Add File, locate the folder containing the WP XLIFF file(s), select the file(s), and click Open.
- Next to the file name under Type, click the drop-down and select your new WP XLIFF filter's name.
- Complete the project wizard as usual to finish.
Version: Wordfast Pro 5 5.7.0.RC2 Operating System: macOS
Updated by Star 03:00, 15 January 2019 (CEST)