Difference between revisions of "Exchanging TMs with Non-Wordfast Users"
Revision as of 14:02, 26 August 2015
Receiving a Translaiton Memory from a Trados Client:
To use a Trados TM in Wordfast, you need to convert it first into TMX (Trados Workbench > File > Export > TMX 1.4).
Now, make sure you create a Project in Wordfast Pro with the same language codes as those of the TMX TM. To open the TM:
- Open "Translation Memory" menu.
- Select "New/Select TM".
- Click "Open" (Button).
- Click "Browse" (button)
- Select "Translation Memory eXchange" from the dropdown menu.
- Locate the TMX and click "Open".
- Make sure that your Source and Target locales selected are the same as the TMX > OK
Note: This will generate a translation memory in the TXT format. So, if you need to send back the TM to your client, you need to Export the TM back into TMX.
Not able to open a TMX Translation Memory? Find out a solution here.
Sending a Translation Memory to a Trados client:
To export a Translation Memory from Wordfast Pro into the TMX format:
- Make sure that all your translated segments are committed to the TM by pressing Ctrl+Alt+End; now all the segments should appear in Violet (colour) or by cleaning-up the TXML file, updating the TM.
- Go to Translation Memory (menu) > New/Select TM
- Click on Export (button)
- From the *Local TM* dropdown menu, select the TM you want to export.
- From the dropdown menu *Export Type*, select *Translation Memory eXchange Format*
- Browse to select the preferred location and name.
Now, your client can *Import* this TMX TM into a Trados TM as long as both TMs have the same language variants. So you have to make sure which language variants are used in the Trados TM. If they are different from the one in your WFP TM, create a new WF TM with the correct language locales and clean up your TXML file(s) against it (before exporting it into the TMX format).
- Watch also this video: Using Olifant to Convert a TMX to Wordfast TM
--Yasmin Moslem 29 December 2011